Fostering Community Impact Through Grants
Through its grants and partnership programs, United Way has been able to successfully serve as an intermediary for a variety of community initiatives that help CSRA nonprofit organizations better serve their clients and the community. Through partnerships with the Georgia Department of Community Affairs, State Housing Trust Fund for the Homeless, Experience Works, Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP), and others, United Way has made a tangible difference in people’s lives in the CSRA. In 2008, we were able to:
- Accessed training and outreach needed to conduct a Georgia Homeless Count for Emanuel and Jefferson Counties.
- Provided homeless supportive housing services to 747 persons:
- 31 persons (11 adults and 20 children) were provided emergency shelter at area hotels due to disaster or domestic violence.
- 79 families, a total of 215 persons (114 adults and 101 children), received rent and utililty financial assistance to prevent homelessness.
- 501 homeless persons (411 adults and 90 children) received transportation assistance to obtain housing, job search, medical assistance, and basic essential services.
- Became a host agency for the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP).
- Dispersed $21,716 to four collaborating agencies that facilitated the disbursal of funds to qualified applicants.
- Coordinated the distribution of EFSP emergency funding to ten local nonprofit organizations for the prevention of homelessness by providing emergency shelter and basic needs assistance for local residents.
When it comes to the planning and coordinating process, collaboration and funding are critical. United Way identifies community needs and seeks to assist whenever possible. That is community impact, and that is United Way!
Read about the AmericCorps VISTA Grant.
Read about the Summer Vista Program.